Happy Happy 2017 everyone.
2016 was a great year for us as a family. We were settling into our new neighborhood, new schools, new community. Matt’s job took him all over the world and country and his work is really making an impact on a global scale.
But me… I can think back to last year at this exact time and you know what. Nothing has changed. Not a single thing. I feel the exact same way. My life -personal and professional – has not budged an inch since January 2016. I have been here holding down the fort and going through the daily grid with these dragons of mine. And while it’s all just fine, I doesn’t feel all that great to be in the same exact space in mind, body and spirit.
It kinda makes me a little sad. I don’t know where the time went. We had a great year as a family. We went on many trips, vacationed in Florida for 2 lazy long weeks, Seattle, skiing, sailing, we sat with neighbors late into the night and chatted, had dinner parties, went to dance concerts, made new friends… I mean we did it all. But I am left feeling empty because my professional life didn’t move an inch and my personal state of mind and body hasn’t improved. So this year I’m starting off with a few promises to myself before I make promises to others.
10 Things I’m Focusing On In 2017!
- Sleep. I am determined to get more sleep. Our days start at 6am. Lily has to be up for school at 6 and bus pick up at 6:45am. Not fun at all… but I’m up and dragging through the entire day.
- Time off smart devices. Raise your hand if you get ready for bed and lay awake by the light of your iphone… scrolling articles, pinterest or facebook. No more! I’m shutting down my smart devices an hour before bedtime.
- MOVE! I was in amazing shape before having Thomas. As a professional dancer… dance did my body and mind good. I’m ready to move again, while it probably won’t be on a stage… I think a regular yoga or dance class is in my near future!
- Hydrate! More water in this system.
- Being Mindful. I know people talk about being mindful a lot, but what does that mean to you? To me ‘mindfulness’ means being in the moment to enjoy your life, to give to community, family… give of your time, efforts, laughter. I want to be in the moments while they are happening and not have to worry about things I’m not accomplishing or the dinner that needs to be done or the email that needs to be sent.
- Say no! One great way to be present in your life… especially with kids… is to say no to things. I sign up for way too many projects or volunteer for too many things and this year I think I’ll just scale it back a bit.
- Kindness. I’m having a tough time coming to grips with the political climate right now. We have anger,sexism, racism and greed on full display, all around us. I’m fighting this with kindness. Reinforcing kind behavior in my children, and taking care of those around us who need help. And just NOT normalizing bad behavior.
- Forgiveness. I’m working on forgiving myself. Yes… did you know you should do that! We hold a lot of judgement toward ourselves. As a mother, I feel that I hold myself accountable for a lot more than I would others. I take on guilt, failures, disappointments and then internalize it. Working on forgiving yourself and releasing those expectations will certainly help me gain a new energy! Going to try!
- Releasing of things. – Decluttering my objects. I look around and see just a bunch of stuff collecting dust. Those trips to target where you come back with tons of useless things…but they are sooo cute… releasing them.
- Give. There are lots of amazing non profits that are at risk of losing their federal funding. We can help. Matt and I give to a couple organizations every year but this year I am going to get the kids actively involved. We can donate to causes that are at the risk of losing funding like arts, education, science, community… find something you are passionate about and tell more people about it and support that cause.