Today was Earth Hour. Have you heard of this? Well you should. It’s a great thing that happens annualy where places and monuments all over the world turn off their lights for one hour starting at 8:30pm local time. It’s only been happening for 4 years so you can get in on the action while it’s new and make a difference for year 5. http://www.myearthhour.org/
” Millions were expected to turn off lights and appliances for an hour from 8:30 p.m. in a gesture to highlight environmental concerns and to call for a binding pact to cut greenhouse gas emissions. This year’s was the fourth annual Earth Hour, organized by the World Wildlife Fund.”(yahoo.com)
It is fantastic to see images of the Eiffel Tower black, or the Empire State Building taking a break. Check out pics. http://bit.ly/dDcHqf
I usually associate the lights off on these momuments with a community grieving or there was that time a few years ago where there was a big blackout in NY and I was stranded in SOHO with Whoopie Goldberg and Sean Asten (who was my blackout buddy, such fun!) and a few other celeb types. It was amazing to see the ‘city that never sleeps’ take a disco nap…for 2 days! There were street parties on every block and I walked the streets of New York in pitch darkness and never got hassled or mugged…NY is a friendly place people.
I digress, once again flashing back to my former life/lives!
What can we, in our busy lives, do for Earth Hour?
What can we do to change the lives of our children?
We have to ingrain this into their little psychys NAO!
8:30pm is witching hour in my house , I can’t easily turn lights out without sacrificing my sanity because the 5 yr old monkey thinks it’s the coolest thing and pretends we are camping but there is school the next day…etc. You know the battle. Tomorrow is Sunday, not a school day..but there is a Palm Sunday Parade at Church and then I am hiking the BreakNeckRidge with the family so it’s a big day and the 5 yr old must be ready to meet it!
If you are like me and turning off the lights at 8:30pm is an issue, then don’t fret.
Earth Hour can happen everyday for you. It takes ONE person to make a difference. YOU can make a difference for you kiddies, and your friends.
You are probably saying: “oh man, missed the 8:30pm Earth Hour, I didn’t get the memo on time”
Me: “Don’t worry there are many ways for you to Earth Hour it up everyday”
You: “how? do tell”
Me: “ok listen up
I do these things and am telling you because I do them. You could do a search for “green living” and find a ton of resources that will give you all the deets you need. I will only tell you things that I do, so here goes.
- Turn off all your lights during the day
- Run your dishwasher at night
- Run your washing machine early in the morning
- in Winter: Turn the heat down in your house at night
- in Summer; Turn the air conditioner down in your house during the day.
- when people are not in the home keep your thermosat on low.
- bathroom: when it’s yellow let it mellow, when it’s brown flush it down. really
- RECYCLE…everything…RECYCLE. teach your children how to recycle and they will love doing it.
- use things in your recycling bin to make art! ask me, I’ll tell you how.
- walk places, take the time to do so, you might meet a neighbour.
- unplug electronics when not in use. This will also reduce your electric bill. cha-ching!
- Read a book instead of watching TV, do an art project instead of watching TV.
That’s what i have for you today.
I hope this helps.
There is oh so much more..but baby steps.
So please have an EarthHour of your own everyday and do something that will make this planet of ours sustainable and fantastic for the monkeys!